Sunday, October 12, 2014

Redipuglia- WWI

First let me apologize for having two post in two days. But today my family took me to the largest WWI monument in Italy, and I had to share my experience.

Redipuglia is dedicated to the memory of over 100,000 Italian soldiers, who died in the First World War. There are 22 steps that contain 39,857 identified soldiers; in the largest step, in two mass graves on both sides of the Votive Chapel, lies the remains of 60,330 fallen unknown soldiers.  It is the largest war monument in Italy and one of the largest in the world. It opened in 1938. Surrounding the monument are a few open air museums and trenches. The trenches were facing the Austrian border. These pictures do not do this monument justice. If you ever find yourselves in Italy, I recommend going to Redipuglia. (Its a must for me!)

My host family has family buried here

Votive Chapel
One of the unknown tombs






An entrance to the trench



 
 
 
 
 
After we left Redipuglia, we went to Groizia. Groizia is right on the border with Slovenia, so for lunch we went to a local restaurant that served Slovenia food... IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!! Then we went to the "Castello di Groizia". The view was breath taking. You could see for miles in every direction! I'm so thankful that my host family gave me this amazing experience today!


 









 
With out rotary or my host family I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see this amazing monument, and city. Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment